Thursday, July 19, 2012

And the project is getting going...

These past two weeks or so, the project has really started to roll as far as starting to nail down funding, experts in community and economic development volunteering to help us with grants and a funding scheme, getting our first check in the door, and developing the project asks.  It feels good, but tiring.


The Governor and Superintendent Wenk on a stage coach

On the way to the MOU signing and celebration with Roosevelt Arch in background (the flat-hat inside the coach is my supervisor)

So beautiful the way that historic modes of transportation into YNP can ride up the same road today that took passengers from the railroad depot, under the arch and into the world's first national park

The first week that I pulled up YNP and the GGP team had been working consistently for over two years on an idea that has been around for at least 20 and although the excitement of the MOU and 15 state, national and local entities pledging to cooperate on making this project happen was great momentum people were waning by the time the celebration was over. Everyone else on the Steering Committee has a full time job other than the project, but me.  When I first arrived, I was a little offput that I was repeatedly refered to as the project staff, but in truth that is what I am. I am here to keep the momentum going, keep the community portion up to the progress of the park portion, make sure everyone's needs are met, make sure people that do not understand planning, design and construction projects are kept abreast of what is going on, keep meeting minutes on the meetings I need to plan or attend, learn the federal and MT standards and then how to apply them for a solid PER then 30% and perhaps get licensed in MT at the same time. It should be an exciting year.

But the important thing is the GGP marches on, I have gotten to see my family more in the past 6 weeks then I have in last 12 years combined, Ilija is happy with his daddy, hiking and at daycare (and I still get to put him to bed almost every night), Austin loves YNP and although I am tired and challenged, I am still honored to be here.

No comments: